Borough Council Minutes 07-09-2013
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL
July 9, 2013
Roll Call: Interim President Chris Simon, Pro-Tempore Philip Enterline, David Fenicle, Rebekah Bowers, Brad Roth and Interim Mayor Bonnie Martin
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
Magisterial District Judge Scott Albert was present to administer the Oath of Office to newly appointed
Interim Council Member Brad Roth.
Four letters of interest from Scot Funk, Randall Kreiser, Brian Kresge and Ron Shank for appointment to the Office of Interim Mayor to fill the unexpired term of Eric Phillips were presented for consideration. Mr. Scot Funk withdrew his name from consideration since he is a candidate on the November ballot for election to that position.
- A Motion was moved to nominate Mr. Randall Kreiser to fill the unexpired term of Mayor Eric Phillips.
Roll Call Vote:
Brad Roth – Yes
Dave Fenicle – Yes
Chris Simon – Yes
Philip Enterline – Yes
Rebekah Bowers – Yes
The vote passed unanimously. Mr. Kreiser was not able to attend the council meeting so he will be notified of his appointment and will be sworn in at the Magisterial District Office before the next council meeting.
- Ms. Doreen Ober from the Manheim Downtown Development Group was present to update Council on the events and current status of the MDDG. Since the group is in their fifth and final year for DCED’s PDC (Pennsylvania Downtown Center) grant money, she gave a brief budget overview of what support from the community would be necessary to keep them operating for the future. She updated the group on the success of the 5K Race and the Mardi Gras event scheduled for August 17th. A request for a temporary local road closure for a walking parade route for this event was presented for approval. The road closure time would be approximately an hour.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to approve the request for a temporary road closing on August 17th for the Mardi Gras Walking Parade. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to approve the May 31, 2014 date for the second annual 5 K Race. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
The possibility of placing tables outside A & M on Market Square was presented for consideration. Mr. Stivers will check if there are any zoning issues that may be related to this request. A rededication and official naming of the Mini-Park in the fall was presented for consideration since the revitalization has been completed. The scheduling of the lamp post project renovations on Market Square was discussed. Dates for the project will be scheduled to not interfere with any events scheduled for the square.
- Ms. Lori Shenk and Mr. Scott Kingsboro, as well as several volunteer members of the Manheim Ambulance Association Board were present to explain the benefits of the October merger of the Manheim Ambulance Association with Northwest EMS, Inc.
- Mr. Rod Geib of 103 South Hazel Street was present to question the continuing deterioration of the sidewalk at the corner of South Hazel Street and Mill Street. The Codes Enforcement Officer is currently checking into this situation. He also questioned the current status of the handling of blighted properties in the borough. He was assured that the Code Enforcement Officer was handling the situation. Mr. Stivers explained the direction and process that the borough needs to follow in handling these blighted properties.
Mayor and Police Chief Reports: (See attached News Release and Report)
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Chief Stauffer briefly reviewed the department statistics. Chief Stauffer explained the necessity of the draft Pawn Shop Ordinance he is proposing.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to approve the proposed Pawn Shops and Second Hand Shops Ordinance for advertisement. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Council was updated on the probationary status of the newest police officer, John Hoffner.
- Chief Stauffer suggested that the cost involved with the approval of handicap spaces be reviewed and possibly increased for 2014.
- Chief Stauffer presented his findings on the handicap space request for 27 West Gramby Street and reviewed the process that is followed to approve these requests. Comments were offered by the Police Chief and the residents of 29 West Gramby Street who explained that the space would be located directly in front of their property and reduce the resale value of the property. The applicant from 27 West Gramby Street explained the reason he was seeking a handicap parking space. The Police Chief offered other locations for the handicap space.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to approve the placement of a handicap space mid-block on West Gramby Street. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
Borough Manager Report:
- Mr. Stivers distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- A one year extension on the contract with Eagle Disposal of East Earl for services in the borough was presented approval. This will be the last extension for the current contract. We will need to rebid the contract in 2014 for trash hauling services starting in 2015.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to extend the contract for Eagle Disposal thru 2014. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- A request to purchase a 2003 Ford Taurus for the Codes Enforcement Officer in the amount of $7,795 with a $1,000 trade in for the Crown Victoria currently being used was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to purchase a 2003 Ford Taurus for the Codes Enforcement Officer in the amount of $7,795. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- Mr. Stivers explained the necessity to update our current 1996 BOCA Property Maintenance Code to the 2009 Property Maintenance Code and asked for approval of the advertisement for adoption of the Ordinance.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to advertise for adoption an ordinance for use of the 2009 Property Maintenance Code. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Mr. Stivers requested permission to replace the outdated PA System at the Community Pool with a new system valued at $4,026. After discussion it was decided to research other quotes before making the final selection.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to approve the purchase of a new PA System for the Community Pool not to exceed $4,026. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Council was updated on the need for the borough to adopt a stormwater ordinance that is in compliance with the County’s stormwater plan. Mr. Stivers will be working with Rettew Associates to have this ordinance ready for adoption by November 2013. Mr. Stivers and Mr. Fenicle have been monitoring the water issues in the borough.
- Approval of the June 25, 2013 Minutes:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to approve the Minutes of the June 25, 2013 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the Voucher Lists for July 9, 2013:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to approve the voucher list in the amount of $76,180.21. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously. Mr. Fenicle recused himself.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to ratify the Police K-9 Fund in the amount $1,500.00. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- The Parks/Pool Committee met to discuss the Manheim Auto Auction possibly doing their annual service project for 2013 in the borough cleaning up the Chiques Creek. The possibility of a walking trail around the Farm Show Complex is being considered. They had also met to review the Rain Garden problem at Logan Park. The Public Work Department has been working on this problem and found when digging on the bottom after it was drained that the soil was like solid clay and does not drain as per the design. Mr. Stivers updated council on the two pipes and all the other drainage work that has been installed to help it function properly during rain events.
- The work on the Police Contract is continuing by the Personnel/Police Committee.
- A meeting was held with the Authority to discuss the final phase of closing the books between the Authority and the Borough. If the final determination of allocation of funds that was agreed to at the meeting is approved by the Authority at their meeting on July 11th it will be brought back to council for approval at their next meeting. Mr. Dennis Ober questioned the water and sewer bills in the borough and was told that his concerns could be addressed at the Authority Meeting on July 11th. Mr. Fenicle gave a brief overview of how an audit of accounts for water usage is calculated.
- The enforcement of parking in areas designated for no parking by yellow lines was questioned. Chief Stauffer answered the questions and explained citations will be issued. Calls should be made to the Police Department.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to adjourn to Executive Session at 9:07 PM for real estate matters. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to adjourn from Executive Session at 9:25 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to begin the process necessary to sell the borough property located at 45 Market Square. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to authorize the Borough Manager to negotiate the purchase of the American Legion property. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn at 9:30 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.