Borough Council Minutes 01-13-2015
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL
January 13, 2015
Roll Call: President Dave Fenicle, Vice President Chris Simon, Pro-Tempore Brad Roth, Rebekah Bowers, Bryan Howett and Mayor Scot Funk
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
- There were no visitor comments.
Mayor & Police Chief Report:
- Mayor Funk gave his report to council. McCracken’s Feed Mill has been donating dog food for the K9 Unit. However, they no longer handle dog food so G & G has volunteered to become the new contributor to continue to supply Bayne with food. Also, there is a new deli on South Charlotte Street where Mam’s Ice Cream Shop was located, and there will be a grand opening on Friday, January 16th.
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council. He updated them on the current status of the training for the new officers and Detective Yarnell and Sergeant Szulborski. He also provided statistics for the lost and found dogs for 2014.
Borough Manager Report:
- Stivers presented his report to Council.
- He updated council on the CDBG grant application for the 2015 project. Approval from council for submission of the grant application to the Lancaster County Housing and Redevelopment Authority was requested.
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Bowers to approve the submission of the 2015 CDBG grant application to the Lancaster County Housing and Redevelopment Authority. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
- Council was updated on the Police Building project. Staff is working with the design team to finalize the storm water plans for the site. Dave Christian met with the Authority to request use of off-site authority land as part of the stormwater design for this project. The Authority requests more time before they can make that decision. It was decided not to delay the project and the design on site for the stormwater will be completed by Mr. Christian.
- Stivers updated council on a meeting he attended with Representative Fee, DCED and PennDOT to discuss funding options and grants for Borough projects.
- The building surveys for the borough building and the EMS building are complete. The next step would be to schedule a meeting to review the report and discuss the best use of the properties.
- Council was reminded of upcoming dates and meetings. The Chiques Creek Watershed Alliance meeting was highlighted for attendance by the elected officials and interested borough volunteers as their project at Logan Park is moving ahead to the start of actual construction.
- The West Stiegel Street project is officially completed and has been signed off by CDBG as complete.
- Sara Gibson was presented for approval as the primary municipal voting delegate to the LCTCB’s Executive Committee for 2015.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve Sara Gibson as primary municipal voting delegate to the LCTCB’s Executive Committee for 2015. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- David Kratzer was presented for approval as alternate municipal voting delegate to the LCTCB’s Executive Committee for 2015.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve David Kratzer as alternate municipal voting delegate to the LCTCB’s Executive Committee for 2015. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- The Borough Council Meeting Minutes for December 30, 2014 were presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the minutes for December 30, 2014. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
- There was no voucher list available for this meeting, as the accounting firm that will be helping with the transition of the Financial Director position will be meeting with staff tomorrow. The voucher items will be taken care of at the meeting on January 27th.
- The Finance Committee will not be meeting after the council meeting tonight as originally planned, but will be scheduling this at a later date.
- The Parks/Pool Committee will be meeting before the next council meeting on January 27th.
- The Personnel/Police Committee will be meeting after this meeting tonight.
- The Public Works Committee met before the council meeting. Stivers updated council on the discussion concerning the East Stiegel Street properties currently owned by the borough. The committee discussed the best use of these properties including 16 East Stiegel Street which was just recently acquired. These properties will be individually evaluated to be considered for public space or possibly selling them. The interviews for the hiring of a new borough engineer are scheduled for next week. The committee discussed the CDBG project for 2015 and the possibility of work on Mill Street to adjust the inlet on South Hazel Street and redirect the outfall pipe downstream. Discussion was held by the committee to consider making improvements to the Community Room currently designated as the Council Chambers. The improvements would be ceiling paint, carpet and possibly room dividers, which would add value to the property. Hopefully these improvements will also help the acoustics in the room as well. The library purchased chairs from another library which will be used in the community room replacing some of the older chairs.
- Simon distributed the minutes from the MDDG Board Meeting.
- It was noted that there is still some grant money in escrow that could be used for improvements at the Caddy Shack property in Penn Township, but the scope of work covered by the grant money is limited.
- It was noted that the Correctional Housing Ordinance #622 was actually adopted in 2011.
- A review of the Noise Ordinance is also being conducted.
- The Sign Ordinance will be advertised for adoption as soon as the review from the Borough Solicitor is complete and it is reviewed by the Planning Commission.
- It was noted that the firm that wanted to place the billboard at the South end of the borough has appealed the ZHB decision. Per council’s directive the solicitor and borough manager did meet with the company and they will be submitting to us a compromise proposal to see if it would meet approval. It was noted that there is a conflict with the location originally requested for the sign and they will be looking at another location.
- The tax relief request for 148 E. Stiegel Street was researched further and the original motion and council minutes were reviewed and discussed.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to uphold the original ruling on this tax relief request. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- Bowers distributed information and reported on her fact finding mission to Frankenmuth, Michigan.
- Questions were raised and discussion was held on the billing of the Municipal Fees. It was explained that the bill was not just for Trash and Recycling Services, but also included Street Lights and Street Sweeping.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn to Executive Session at 8:03 PM to discuss a personnel matter. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Howett to adjourn from Executive Session and return to the public meeting at 8:08 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to adjourn at 8:09 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- June 8, 2020
- June 9, 2020
- June 11, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- June 15, 2020
- June 30, 2020
- July 6, 2020
- July 9, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- July 13, 2020
- July 14, 2020
- July 20, 2020
- July 28, 2020
- August 3, 2020
- August 10, 2020
- August 11, 2020
- August 13, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- August 17, 2020
- August 25, 2020