Borough Council Minutes 01-14-2014
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL WORKSHOP
January 14, 2014
Roll Call: President Dave Fenicle, Vice President Chris Simon, Pro-Tempore Brad Roth, Rebekah Bowers, Bryan Howett.
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Sandra Mitchell, Financial Director, and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
- Jim Williams from Downtown Development Group presented a check to the President of Council and Mayor for $1,000.00 for the Holiday lights in the Square. There was an update on all the upcoming events the Downtown is offering to the Community. Council Thanked the Downtown Development Group for all its hard work.
- Sharon Ritter wanted to know what was going on with the schools, and Mr. Fenicle suggested that she attend a school board meeting.
- Duane Ober said the lights are down in the square, and the fire company enjoyed helping out. Council Thanked Duane and all the volunteers that helped.
Police Chief & Mayor Report:
- The Mayor would ask residents to help with storm drains in keeping them clear so the rain can drain better into the inlets. The Borough Manager suggested that maybe we should have markers at the inlets.
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Chief Stauffer presented an updated on the cruisers. He is asking to lease two vehicles and give the Borough Manager the 2008 Ford Explorer.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to lease two new cruisers for the police. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
Borough Manager Report:
- Mr. Stivers distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Council was updated on the meetings that have been held with State and Federal agencies to partner together to address the flooding situation in the borough.
- Council was updated and handed out a letter from Manheim, Germany. He showed everyone the gifts that were sent and suggested we do the same. They are interested in doing a sister city with us.
- Mr. Stivers introduced David Christian and De Vitry Architects to review the conceptual site plan for the Police/Ambulance campus location. Mr. Fenicle gave a brief history of how we got to this point. Dave Christian presented conceptual site plans which are attached. The public works committee met at 5:30 to discuss which would be the best option to go with. Mr. Roth said the committee prefers that there are two separate buildings and are leaning towards the two story building for the police. Visitor Sharon Ritter asked what will happen to the old building? Mr. Fenicle explained that it is currently for sale. Visitor Sharon Ritter asked if taxes would increase. Mr. Fenicle responded that the borough will have to get a Bond/Loan but can’t answer that at this time. It was explained for safety reasons and the police growing department it is necessary for us to build.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to go with the two building concept for the emergency campus. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- Approval of Ordinance number 637 – Rules and regulations for Civil Service Commission.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon approve Ordinance number 637. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- Approval to appoint Don Wenger, athletic field scheduling coordinator for Manheim Borough.
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Bowers to approve Don Wenger to be coordinator of the Manheim Borough athletic fields. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and unanimously.
- Approval of Lititz Recreation Center Pool Contract:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to accept the Lititz recreation pool contract for 2014. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- Approval of closing West Shippen Alley:
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Bowers to close West Shippen alley from 9 am to 12 noon on Wednesday January 15, 2014 to park moving van. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the December 10, 2013 Minutes:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the Minutes of the December 10, 2013 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously. Mr. Howett abstain his vote since he was not on council at the time.
- Approval of the January 6, 2014 Minutes:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the Minutes of the January 6, 2014 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the Voucher List for January 14, 2014:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the voucher list in the amount of $38,553.22. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- Mr. Fenicle appointed new Committee members. For Public works the Committee shall stay the same. Parks/Pool will be Ms. Bowers, Mr. Howett and Ms. Martin. Personnel/Police Committee will be Mr. Simon, Mr. Howett and Mr. Roth. A new Committee will be the Economic Structure that will include Ms. Martin, the Mayor and staff.
- The 2014 -2017 Police Labor Contract was presented for approval. Mr. Roth questioned if we ever take anyone who is not Act 120 certified. The Chief explained that we have always taken Act 120 certified as long as he can remember.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the 2014 – 2017 Police Labor Contracts. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- The Borough Manager suggested that we should get a written opinion from Rettew Engineering on the study at Laurel St/Adele Ave.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to have Rettew give us a written opinion for Laurel St/Adele Ave. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- Mr. Fenicle suggested that we need to relook at our trailer restriction with in the Borough for business. Council plans on discussing this issue on the Jan. 28th meeting.
- Mr. Roth would like to see the Agenda on the website the Monday before the Council meeting.
- Ms. Bowers asked about some of the patches are not holding up on the streets and it was explained that it is temporary cold patch.
- Visitor Sharon Ritter would like to make sure the street department plows the Alley behind 45 S Penn St.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to adjourn to Executive Session for personnel matters at 8:52 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Howett to adjourn from Executive Session at 9:25 PM. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to adjourn at 9:27 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
- February 1, 2021
- February 8, 2021
- February 9, 2021
- February 11, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- February 22, 2021
- February 23, 2021
- March 1, 2021
- March 8, 2021
- March 9, 2021
- March 11, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- March 15, 2021
- March 30, 2021
- April 5, 2021
- April 8, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- April 12, 2021
- April 13, 2021
- April 19, 2021
- April 27, 2021