Borough Council Minutes 01-27-2015
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL
January 27, 2015
Roll Call: President Dave Fenicle, Vice President Chris Simon, Pro-Tempore Brad Roth and Rebekah Bowers
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager and Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary
- Jeff Hughes and Mrs. Jennifer Kready presented a request for a memorial for Logan Crills, a Manheim Central student who recently passed away as well as two other students. They requested that council consider a continuation of the student memorial already established in Memorial Park several years ago to be constructed and planted this spring.
Mr. Stivers explained the current long term memorial project currently in the planning stages for the park. Partnering this request with the current project was discussed. It was noted that the Kready family would be contributing the plaque and tree.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to accept this proposal to be part of the current memorial project being designed by David Christian & Associates. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Richard Eyman was present to request that updates be made to the website. He was also inquiring on the status of the update to the Noise Ordinance. Mr. Stivers explained the current review of several ordinances, which are all currently in stages of review and updates. Mr. Eyman also read from a follow up letter he received from the Codes Enforcement Officer concerning the siding on his house.
Mayor & Police Chief Report:
- There was no Mayor’s Report.
- The Police Chief Report was distributed to Council.
- It was noted that there will be a need for overtime for the Police Department for the 5K Race scheduled on May 30th.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the necessary overtime by the Police Department for the 5K Race on May 30th. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- It was noted that Chief Stauffer applied for a grant for Speed Limit Radar Signs.
Borough Manager Report:
- Stivers presented his report to Council.
- He updated council on the Penn Township project in which we are partnering with them for the sidewalk portion on East High Street starting at Memorial Drive continuing onto Doe Run Road.
- Council was updated on the sale of the triangle of land on South Oak Street by MAEDC which will be purchased by G & G.
- Council was also updated on the Regional Leaders Meeting held by Representative Fee and hosted by Manheim Borough at the Train Station.
- Ben Craddock from Lancaster Civil was present to introduce himself and his company. Lancaster Civil is the company being recommended by the interviewing committee for appointment as the new Borough Engineering Firm.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to appoint Lancaster Civil as the new Borough Engineering Firm. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
Council discussed the handling of the transition of projects from the past Engineer to Lancaster Civil to make the process as smooth as possible. Mr. Stivers updated council on the handling of this process.
- The Borough Council Meeting Minutes for January 13, 2015 were presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the minutes for January 13, 2015. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- The Voucher List in the amount of $54,931.18 was presented for ratification.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to ratify the Voucher List in the amount of $54,931.18. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously with a vote of 3 to 0. President Fenicle abstained, since he is an employee of MAWSA.
- The Voucher List in the amount of $56,152.09 was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the Voucher List in the amount of $56,152.09. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- The Capital Fund Voucher List in the amount of $29,514.75 was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the Capital Fund Voucher List in the amount of $29,514.75. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- The Finance Committee is hoping to meet after the first meeting in February. Roth noted that council did receive a copy of the Revenue & Expense Report to the end of December 2014 and that the borough ended positively for the year.
- The Parks/Pool Committee did not meet before the council meeting this month.
- The Personnel/Police Committee will be meeting soon to start the interview process for the applications received for the advertised staff positions. The new police officers have all started and our currently in training. It is going well.
- The Public Works Committee will meet before the February 10th council meeting. It was noted that there is a good supply of salt and the plowing and salting of the street is going well. It was noted that plowing the Market Square parking spaces should be considered early in the plowing process if a snow emergency is called. The handling of the plowing versus the drainage issue on the Market Square roadway was discussed. This issue will be discussed with PennDOT since it is a state road.
- There was no report from the MDDG.
- The suggestion of implementing an alarm ordinance was presented for consideration. The owner of an alarm would be required to register it for a small fee and provide general information about the system. There would also be a fee for emergency personnel responding to multiple false alarms at the same property. It would help emergency personnel to know the location of the alarms as well as business contact information when responding to a call. Mr. Roth will distribute copies of ordinances from other communities.
- It was noted by Ms. Bowers that this council meeting was being held on Holocaust Remembrance Day.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to adjourn to Executive Session at 7:37 PM to discuss a personnel matter. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn from Executive Session and return to the public meeting at 8:08 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to pay out the PTO Benefits to the former Finance Assistant. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn at 8:09 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- April 6, 2020
- April 9, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- April 13, 2020
- April 14, 2020
- April 20, 2020
- April 28, 2020
- May 4, 2020
- May 11, 2020
- May 12, 2020
- May 14, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- May 18, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- June 1, 2020
- June 8, 2020
- June 9, 2020
- June 11, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- June 15, 2020
- June 30, 2020