Borough Council Minutes 03-12-2013
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL WORKSHOP
March 12, 2013
Roll Call: President Bonnie Martin, Vice President Chris Simon, David Fenicle, John Eshelman, Rebekah Bowers and Mayor Eric Phillips
Staff: Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
Approval of the February 26, 2013 Minutes:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Eshelman to approve the Minutes of the February 26, 2013 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Eshelman to approve the voucher list in the amount of $79,880.52. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- Mr. Scot Funk was present to question how the electrical improvements to Market Square for the 250th Committee Lamp Post project were going to be funded. He was told the Borough would be making the improvements. He also questioned the current status of the hiring process for the new Borough Manager, which has been narrowed down to 5 candidates. Council is hoping to have a new Borough Manager hired by the end of April.
- Dr. Jury questioned whether a decision had been made on how questions and dialogue from residents during council meeting would be handled. Dialogue from residents will be allowed but limited during council meetings.
Police Chief Report: (See attached News Release and Report)
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report to Council to review.
- The dog shed at the Public Works Facility is complete and in service.
- Officer Adam Webb has completed his 6 month probationary period. He comes highly recommended to become a full time police officer.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Eshelman remove Officer Webb from probationary status to be a full time Manheim Borough Police Officer. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- Manheim Post 5956, Veterans of Foreign Wars has requested permission to hold the annual Memorial Day Parade on May 27th at 9:30 AM with Police Department assistance.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Eshelman to grant permission for the Annual Memorial Day Parade on May 27th at 9:30 AM. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Officer Szulborski is scheduled for training with the new canine to start on April 29th, with the dog possibly being put into service in June.
- The new website is nearing completion.
Borough Manager Report:
- TheSnack Attack cart is again requesting to return to Market Square from April 1st to September 27th. The cart is self-sustaining.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the return of the Snack Attack cart on Market Square from April 1st to September 27th for the vendor permit fee of $300.00. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- The Finance Committee made a statement concerning a Facebook Posting suggesting that $400,000 is missing from borough surplus funds from the end of 2012. Even though it did not cite any facts to substantiate the allegation, Borough Council takes these things very serious and will be looking into this matter further. Since an audit was just completed and there were no discrepancies, there is not any truth to this claim. Mr. James Koontz, the Borough Auditor gave a brief scenario of the current audit and explained that there is a surplus of $400,000. He explained the reasons there is a surplus, the main one being the receipt of FEMA reimbursements from the flood in 2011for expenses at that time. Lease payments from the School District were another contributing factor. He assured everyone that the money was in our bank accounts at the end of 2012 and not missing. He explained why a surplus of 4 months of expenditures is suggested for municipalities. Mr. Eshelman addressed questions from Ms. Ditzler and Mr. Roth concerning future budgeting issues and the reserve funds.
- Mr. Eshelman gave an update for the Public Works Committee on the 45 Market Square building. The plans will be presented at the March 26th Council Workshop.
- Council was given an update on the cost of the Christmas Lights for the Square. Discussion was held concerning the direction the borough would like to go for future Christmas Lights in the square. The Public Works Committee will research the Christmas Lights. Mr. Shaub explained the repairs that will be made to the Flagpole for the star and ball by the Fire Department.
- The proposal for David Christian Services for 45 Market Square was discussed and will be considered for approval at the March 26th Council Meeting. The proposal is for parking lot design work. Discussion was held concerning parking in the area of the 45 Market Square building and the flow of traffic in the alley at the back of the building.
- Hammerguard Aquatics is currently working on the opening of the Manheim Community Pool for the 2013 Season Memorial Day Weekend.
- The issues of the property that is adjacent to the Brick House Café are currently being investigated by the Interim Zoning Officer.
- Ms. Ditzler questioned the use of the third floor of the 45 Market Square building. Mr. Eshelman answered her question as the space is very small and not currently being utilized. She also questioned the use of the new Farm Show Building for the Borough’s Meetings.
- Dr. Jury questioned if there has been discussions with the School District and the Borough concerning the future of the elementary schools in the Borough. Discussion was held concerning the effect of the new proposed school buildings on the Borough.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Eshelman to adjourn to Executive Session for the discussion of real estate and personnel matters at 8:04 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Eshelman to adjourn from Executive Session at 8:35 PM. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
Mr. Roth questioned the content of the Facebook posting that was discussed earlier in the meeting and it was read.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Eshelman to adjourn at 8:40 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- January 20, 2020
- January 28, 2020
- February 3, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- February 11, 2020
- February 13, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- February 24, 2020
- February 25, 2020
- March 2, 2020
- March 9, 2020
- March 10, 2020
- March 12, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- March 16, 2020
- March 31, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- April 9, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- April 13, 2020
- April 14, 2020