Borough Council Minutes 08-13-2013
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL
August 13, 2013
Roll Call: President Bonnie Martin, Pro-Tempore Philip Enterline, David Fenicle, Rebekah Bowers, Brad Roth and Mayor Randall Kreiser
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
- Mr. Scot Funk questioned the possibility of additional signage at the Memorial Drive and East High Street intersection. There seems to be a noticeable increase of vehicles accessing Memorial Drive in the wrong direction.
Mayor and Police Chief Reports: (See attached News Release and Report)
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- He updated council on the monthly statistics, the final phase of training for the new officer, the officer involved shooting and continuous use of the web based media outlets for residents.
- It was noted that there is an increase in the amount of dirt bikes on the borough streets. The police are aware of the increase in dirt bike traffic and are monitoring it.
Borough Manager Report:
- Mr. Stivers distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Mr. Stivers updated council on the meeting recently held at Senator Brubaker’s office to discuss the issue of truck traffic in the borough. Discussions were held on the topic and will continue with all parties involved in hopes of reaching a viable compromise for everyone.
- An update was given on the pool operation for this year and revenue figures were presented for discussion. It has been suggested that the pool could possibly stay open on weekends and possibly some weekdays through September in hopes of recouping some of the revenue shortfall that has occurred. The fall and winter repairs at the pool will need to be scheduled for 2014 season to make sure they are taken care of in a timely fashion.
- Ms. Lorraine Coldren has contacted the Borough to see if we are interested in sharing the cost to repave Pear Alley. After discussion it was decided to partner in this project.
- The street cleaning for the last quadrant was finally completed.
- Mr. Stivers updated council on the Fulton Street project changes and the anticipated project schedule.
- Mr. Stivers requested that the Mill Street project for this year be postponed, not cancelled until 2014 so all the necessary repairs can be addressed properly instead of only taking care of a portion of the problem this year that may not adequately fix the flooding issues. In 2014 it will be the CDBG Project. The residents will be notified as to the plan for their street in the near future so they know that it is still in the planning stages for a better more permanent fix. It was decided the inlet boxes will be replaced by larger inlet boxes this year and the major project will be planned for next year. Discussion was held concerning the possibility of dredging the creek to avoid flooding.
- The Code Enforcement Officers Report was distributed. Questions were raised as to the length of time between steps of enforcement for violations notices.
- Resolution 5-2013 for a parcel purchase for the new Police Department Building was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to approve Resolution 5-2013 for the parcel purchase for the new Police Department Building. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the July 30, 2013 Minutes:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the Minutes of the July 30, 2013 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the Voucher List for August 13, 2013:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to approve the voucher list in the amount of $130,925.09. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously. Mr. Fenicle recused himself.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to ratify the Hammerguard Aquatics invoice in the amount of $11,623.00. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to ratify the PD Fund in the amount $63,597.91. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- The Finance Committee met with representatives from Susquehanna Bank concerning the current status and investment breakdown of the Police Pension.
- The future scheduling of borough council committee meetings was discussed. The Finance/Pension Committee will meet from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM before each council meeting starting Tuesday, August 27th. Starting in September the Parks/Pools Committee will meet on the second Tuesday of each month from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM and the Public Works Committee will meet the last Tuesday of each month from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM. The suggestion of scheduling another town meeting was discussed. A meeting will be planned inviting all the Borough Commissions and Committees, plus the general public with a set agenda of the top key issues to be discussed. It was suggested that all council members bring a list of what they feel are the top 3 to 4 top issues in the borough that need to be addressed. It was decided to have the town meeting on Tuesday, October 29 in place of the regular council meeting scheduled for that night.
- The suggestion of making Main Street and Charlotte Street one way was presented for discussion and future consideration.
- There is a meeting/tour with the owners of Spooky Nook Sports Complex scheduled for Friday, September 6th at 7:30 AM. Council is invited to attend and should contact the borough office to RSVP.
- Mr. Stivers presented a quote from Garden Spot Electrical for relocation of an electrical line from the Small Pavilion at Memorial Park for service to Brings Rock Park. Council asked if the school would help cover this cost. Mr. Stivers will present more information concerning this quote at the next council meeting.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to adjourn to Executive Session at 8:20 PM for real estate matters. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn from Executive Session at 8:42 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn at 8:45 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- April 19, 2021
- April 27, 2021
- May 3, 2021
- May 10, 2021
- May 11, 2021
- May 13, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- May 17, 2021
- May 25, 2021
- June 7, 2021
- June 8, 2021
- June 10, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- June 14, 2021
- June 21, 2021
- June 29, 2021
- July 5, 2021
- July 8, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- July 12, 2021
- July 13, 2021