Borough Council Minutes 08-26-2014
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL
August 26, 2014
Roll Call: Pro-Tempore Brad Roth, Rebekah Bowers, Bryan Howett, Bonnie Martin and Mayor Scot Funk
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
- Lila Hughes presented the K9 Fund with a donation of $225.00 she collected at her birthday party, which Officer Bayne and Officer Szulborski attended.
- Elaine Burnett program director from Aaron’s Acres presented an overview of the very successful summer camp held at the Manheim Community Pool and Veteran Memorial Park for 6 weeks this summer. There were many positive comments on the great working relationship between the borough and Aarons Acres.
Mayor and Police Chief Report:
- Mayor Funk gave his report to council. On Wednesday August 20th Mayor Funk presented Football Coach Mike Williams with a special street sign temporarily renaming Memorial Drive to honor him for his years of service to the Manheim Central Football Program.
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Council was updated on the Civil Service Process for the current promotion of sergeant. Officer Kristopher Keller was presented for approval as the top candidate for the position.
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Bowers to promote Officer Kristopher Keller to the rank of Sergeant. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Martin and passed unanimously.
- Statistics for the month were presented for review.
- A chart was given to council showing the future personnel structure of the police department for 2015.
Borough Manager Report:
- Stivers distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Stivers introduced Mr. William Frymoyer, Sr., the new Codes Enforcement Officer for the borough. Mr. Frymoyer thanked council for the opportunity to serve the borough in this capacity.
- This will be the last week of the pool and staff will start shutting it down for the winter next week.
- Council was reminded about the auction for the borough property at 45 Market Square on Thursday, August 28th.
- Council was updated on future meeting dates of interest.
- The bid results of the West Stiegel Street Project were presented by Mr. James Caldwell of Rettew Associates. He distributed the results and explained the scope of the project. The two bids received were both under the cost estimate prepared by Rettew Associates. Approval has been received by the Lancaster County Redevelopment Authority to proceed with the award. A Preconstruction Meeting has been scheduled for Friday August 29th. It was noted the project will be moved along as quickly as possible toward completion and hopefully weather will not be an issue.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Howett to approve the Bid for the West Stiegel Street Project to Doug Lamb Construction, Inc. in the amount of $176,503.00 and to approve the Borough Manager to execute the necessary contract documents. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- The Borough Council Meeting Minutes for August 12, 2014 were presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Howett to approve the Minutes of the August 12, 2014 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- The Voucher List for August 26, 2014 in the amount of $75,372.76 was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Howett to approve the voucher list in the amount of $75,372.76. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Martin and passed unanimously.
- The Parks/Pool Committee met before the council meeting. The current pool finances for this year were distributed and discussed. The operating expenses this year are better at this time compared to the same time last year. The Committee will be researching the current condition of the pool and needs for the future in order to proactively gather information before the community meeting scheduled for September 24th at the Farm Show Building. Stivers will be preparing a financial cost comparison between 2013 and 2014 for presentation at the community meeting.
- Council was reminded about the Lancaster County Borough Association Meeting being held in Columbia on Wednesday, September 17th.
- Contributions are still coming in for the new cruiser for the K9 Unit and Chief Stauffer will update council on the current amount that would need to be contributed by the borough.
- It was suggested that guidelines be drafted on the handling of items presented to council during a meeting without any documentation distributed to council before the meeting for consideration. The possibility of drafting Policies and Procedures to be used for the handling of business at the council meeting was discussed. It was suggested to have these items listed on the agenda at the next meeting after it is originally presented at a council meeting for consideration.
- September 9th Council Meeting will be held at Mummau Park.
- The borough staff will be starting yearly inspections of all playground equipment in our parks.
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Martin to adjourn at 7:52 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
- September 21, 2020
- September 29, 2020
- October 5, 2020
- October 6, 2020
- October 8, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- October 12, 2020
- October 13, 2020
- October 19, 2020
- October 27, 2020
- November 2, 2020
- November 3, 2020
- November 9, 2020
- November 10, 2020
- November 12, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- November 16, 2020
- November 24, 2020
- December 7, 2020
- December 8, 2020
- December 10, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- December 14, 2020