Borough Council Minutes 08-27-2013
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL
August 27, 2013
Roll Call: President Bonnie Martin, Vice President Chris Simon, Pro-Tempore Philip Enterline, Rebekah Bowers, Brad Roth and Mayor Randall Kreiser
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
- Mr. Curt Diffenderfer from Manheim Community Farm Show Committee was present to update council on the current status of the new building. The project is on schedule and will be completed in approximately 4 weeks. Borough Council and the Public are invited to attend the Ribbon Cutting at the new building on Monday, October 7th at approximately 6:15 PM. Mr. Diffenderfer requested that the Farm Show Committee be notified in the future if there are large events scheduled at the pool so they can mark No Parking areas at the Farm Show Complex.
- Ms. Susan Wert presented a letter to council concerning matters at the pool. She was advised by Mr. Stivers her issues need to be addressed by Hammerguard Aquatics. She was advised to contact Hammerguard to resolve the issues. A meeting of the Parks/Pool Committee on September 10th is planned to concentrate on matters at the pool since the season is coming to a close at the end of September.
- Mr. Andy Baker was present to voice his concerns about the location of the new Ambulance Building on West Colebrook Street and to make suggestions for other locations for the building. It was suggested that he contact the Ambulance Association with his concerns.
- Mr. Dan Reif of the Manheim Fire Department distributed the July 2013 Fire Department Report. He noted that there has been an increase in call volume the last couple of months. The Department has ordered a new tank truck.
Mayor and Police Chief Reports: (See attached News Release and Report)
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- He updated council on the special event scheduling for school activities and the Manheim Community Farm Show, as well as parking issues, rental properties and the coverage of patrol shifts until the officers on administrative leave return to regular patrols.
Borough Manager Report:
- Mr. Stivers distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Mr. Stivers updated council on the East and West High Street bridges as they are on the PennDOT list of structurally deficient bridges. They will both be posted with weight restrictions in the very near future. The impact of the weight limits for vehicles in the borough was discussed. Mr. Reif noted that though most of their apparatus will not be impacted, the ladder truck will not be able to cross the bridge at East High Street.
- Mr. Stivers has been working with Penn Township on a grant application. They are applying to the Smart Growth Transportation and Transportation Alternatives programs for sidewalks. Our portion would be on the north side from Memorial Drive east to the borough line. This sidewalk would connect with Penn Township’s portion of sidewalk extending to the shopping center.
- A request from iStage for the use of the Community Room for all day auditions on February 15th and practice on Saturdays from March until their production which is scheduled at the end of May was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to approve request from iStage for the use of the Community Room for auditions on February 15th and practice on Saturdays from March until their production scheduled at the end of May. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- The Approval of the electric work for Brings Rocks Park by Garden Spot Electric in the amount of $6,600 was presented for approval. This item was tabled at the last meeting so the school could be notified about sharing the cost of this work.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the Electric Work for Brings Rocks Park as quoted by Garden Spot Electric in the amount of $6,600. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Enterline and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the August 13, 2013 Minutes:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the Minutes of the August 13, 2013 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Enterline and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the Voucher List for August 27, 2013. It was noted that after all the bills are received for the Rain Garden Project at Logan Park, they will forwarded to the appropriate party for reimbursement for the repair work:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the voucher list in the amount of $48,760.54. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- The Finance/Pension Committee has begun their budget strategy for 2014. Mr. Simon will be the Chairperson for this committee.
- Pools/Park Committee will be meeting Tuesday, September 10th.
- Opening committee meetings to the public was discussed. Since public committee meetings are at the discretion of the committee chairman, it was decided by the Finance/Pension Committee that they would open their meetings to the public once they have a working draft of the 2014 budget.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to adjourn to Executive Session at 7:55 PM for a police matter and a personnel issue. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn from Executive Session at 8:22 PM. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to purchase rifles for the Police Department subject to funds being available and that the information concerning fund availability be reported back to Council. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn at 8:25 PM. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- April 6, 2020
- April 9, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- April 13, 2020
- April 14, 2020
- April 20, 2020
- April 28, 2020
- May 4, 2020
- May 11, 2020
- May 12, 2020
- May 14, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- May 18, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- June 1, 2020
- June 8, 2020
- June 9, 2020
- June 11, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- June 15, 2020