Borough Council Minutes 09-09-2014
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL
September 9, 2014
Roll Call: President David Fenicle, Vice President Chris Simon, Pro-Tempore Brad Roth, Rebekah Bowers, Bonnie Martin and Mayor Scot Funk
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
Ratification of the Sale of Borough Property at 45 Market Square was presented for ratification.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to ratify the Sale of 45 Market Square for $270,000 on August 28, 2014. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- Victor Fiore, Mr. Anthony Fiore and Mr. Phillip Fiore from Metro America were present to discuss code issues at their property on North Main Street. After discussion the Borough Staff was directed to address the issues of; use of the one way street bordering their business and the parking of vehicle stock. A meeting will be scheduled with the Borough Manager, Codes Enforcement Officer and the owners of Metro America.
Mayor and Police Chief Report:
- Mayor Funk gave his report to council. Council was reminded about the POW/MIA Ceremony scheduled for 7:00 PM on Friday, September 19th in Market Square. Bowers will read the Mayor’s Proclamation at the ceremony.
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Council was updated on the 2014 Hiring Consortium in the County and the status of the new cruisers. The K9 vehicle will be costing the borough much less than originally anticipated.
- In light of possible new legislation for future use of cameras, body and/or in cars, a grant for funds for these cameras has been completed.
- A new crossing guard has been hired and applications are still being received for the second position.
- The BEAST Evidence Software Programs purchased with grant monies has been implemented.
- The current increase in drug use in the county was noted and briefly discussed.
- Statistics for the month were presented for review.
Borough Manager Report:
- Stivers distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Council was reminded about the Special Council Meeting concerning the future of the Community Pool scheduled for September 24th at the Farm Show Building starting at 7:00 PM.
- Stivers explained the PA 72 Signal Coordination Project for all the traffic signal in the borough.
- Settlement for 45 Market Square will be scheduled in the near future.
- The Community Farm Show is fast approaching and the parade meeting is being held next week.
- Updates were given on the current status of the new Police Building and the new security light installation.
- Council was reminded about upcoming dates and meetings.
- The denial by the Zoning Hearing Board for the billboard placement on South Main Street was explained and it was noted that the applicant does have the option to appeal.
- It was also noted that the Planning Commission will be presented with their first draft of the new Police Building plans at their next meeting on Monday, September 15th.
- Discussion was held concerning the timing of traffic signals and the possibility of having them on flash during the early hours.
- The Special Fire Police request for help with the Elizabethtown Holiday Parade was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Martin to approve the request for the Special Fire Police to help with the Elizabethtown Holiday Parade. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A quote from Martin Paving for the oil and chipping of Veterans Alley was presented for approval. Discussion was held concerning the long term solution for paving this alley and the possibility of using hot mix temporarily for the potholes.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to table the possibility of oil and chipping of Veterans Alley until spring 2015. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- A drawing of the sign proposed for the Manheim Farm Show Building was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the sign for the Manheim Farm Show Building. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- The Borough Council Meeting Minutes for August 26, 2014 were presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the Minutes of the August 26, 2014 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- The Voucher Lists for September 9, 2014 in the amount of $38,515.81 and $6,621.26 were presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Martin to approve the voucher list in the amount of $38,515.81. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the voucher list in the amount of $6,621.26. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed with a vote of 4 to 0. President Fenicle recused himself, since he is an employee of the Manheim Borough Authority.
- There were no reports for the Parks/Pool Committee, Personnel Committee or the Public Works Committee.
- Discussion was held concerning the establishment of the Economic Revitalization Committee. Stivers provided some history on the Manheim Downtown Development Group which has a similar committee functioning under their board. This newest committee is being formed to focus on future economic development in the borough and address issues related to parking, ordinances updates and future growth. The parking issues in the borough were discussed.
- Appointment of a signatory for the Borough at the closing for the Authority’s refinancing of their loans on September 22nd was discussed.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to designate Mr. Mark Stivers as the signatory for the Borough at the closing for the Authority refinancing of their loans on September 22nd. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth with a vote of 4 to 0. President Fenicle recused himself, since he is an employee of the Manheim Borough Authority.
- Discussion was held concerning the burying of the time capsule. It was suggested that a booth at the Business Expo during the Community Farm Show would be a good place to display the old contents and new contents for the time capsule. It was decided that a committee will be formed to handle the ceremony and burying of the time capsule to be scheduled for the Rose Weekend in June of 2015. Martin and Ms. Bowers will organize the committee for this event.
- Council would like the RFP for a Borough Engineer prepared. It will be presented at the October 14th Council Meeting.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn at 8:25 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- February 24, 2020
- February 25, 2020
- March 2, 2020
- March 9, 2020
- March 10, 2020
- March 12, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- March 16, 2020
- March 31, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- April 9, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- April 13, 2020
- April 14, 2020
- April 20, 2020
- April 28, 2020
- May 4, 2020
- May 11, 2020
- May 12, 2020
- May 14, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- May 18, 2020