Borough Council Minutes 09-10-2013
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL
September 10, 2013
Roll Call: President Bonnie Martin, Pro-Tempore Philip Enterline, Rebekah Bowers, Brad Roth and Dave Fenicle
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
- Ms. Tracy Zimmerman Parade Coordinator for the Manheim Community Farm Show Parade gave an update on the current status of the Community Farm Show and the Parade. She recognized the many community organizations and volunteers who work together all year to make the Community Farm Show such a success.
Police Chief Reports: (See attached News Release and Report)
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- He updated council on the department’s statistics.
- Discussion was held on the new weight restrictions placed by PennDOT on the bridge on East High Street. Chief Stauffer gave an overview of what is involved with these new restrictions. He explained what will and can be implemented to impose fines for violators and what would be considered a local delivery. He researched the state vehicle code and found that school buses, emergency vehicles and vehicles making local deliveries are exempt from weight restrictions. The bridge at West High Street has not been posted yet, but is scheduled to be posted as well. The alternate routes for trucks will be discussed. PennDOT can be contacted for alternate route information for truck deliveries since they have posted the weight restrictions. It was suggested to possibly submit our draft of alternate routes to PennDOT for approval.
Borough Manager Report:
- Mr. Stivers distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- Council was updated on the possibility of a regional plan within the Chesapeake Bay basin community that is being considered for the MS4 Chesapeake Bay Pollution Reduction Plan to go along with the MS4 Permit. Work is also being started on the Stormwater Ordinance and a draft should be available from our Engineer next week. The deadline for this ordinance has been extended to re-evaluate the necessity of a full Stormwater Plan for small projects.
- The Farm Show Building is almost completed and on September 21, 2013 the Manheim Auto Auction will be landscaping the building and holding a ribbon cutting to dedicate their landscaping project.
- The borough building locks have been rekeyed so we now have a proper key system in place.
- A preconstruction meeting for the Fulton Street/Stiegel Street project was held last week and the start of the project is scheduled for the week of September 23rd beginning with completion of the ADA ramps and curb work first. They are planning to have the project completed by Mid-October. Mr. Stivers gave a brief projected schedule for each phase of the construction.
- The burying of the time capsule will probably be scheduled for 2014.
- Ordinance 634 – Pawn Shop and Second Hand Goods Ordinance was presented for approval. Chief Stauffer explained the reasoning for the adoption of the ordinance.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to approve Ordinance 634 – Pawn Shop and Second Hand Goods Ordinance. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- A Change Order for the Fulton Street/Stiegel Street Project so it can be extended was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle approve a Change Order for the Fulton Street/Stiegel Street Project. The Motion was seconded Mr. Enterline and passed unanimously.
- A request for the closing of South Fulton Street on Saturday, October 19th from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM for a resident block party was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to grant the closing of Fulton Street on Saturday, October 19th from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM for a resident block party. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- The Brown Schultz Sheridan & Fritz – Understanding of Services letter was presented for approval. After discussion it was decided to table this action until the next council meeting.
- Approval of the August 27, 2013 Minutes:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to approve the Minutes of the August 27, 2013 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously. Mr. Fenicle abstained since he was absent from the meeting.
- Approval of the Voucher List for September 10, 2013:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the voucher list in the amount of $44,556.74. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Enterline and passed unanimously. Mr. Fenicle abstained due to payment of Manheim Borough Authority invoices.
- The Finance/Pension Committee will be meeting before the next council meeting.
- The Parks/Pool Committee met before the Council Meeting with Christina Donnelly of Hammerguard Aquatics to discuss the current pool season. Revenues were down. The committee is currently looking into what will be needed next year for equipment, repairs and maintenance during the winter months. There has been a very positive feedback on being opened on the weekends and some weekdays until the end of September. There has been a good attendance on both the weekend days as well as the lap pool swim days being held during the week. Aarons Acres has contacted the borough to see about holding summer camps for special needs children and adults at the pool plus the use of our pavilions as well. The possibility of getting year round use out of the lap pool was suggested.
- The Personnel/Police Committee is scheduled to meet with Rapho Township to start work sessions on the police service contract. It was suggested that Police/Personnel Committee and the Borough Manager and Rapho Manager work with the Police Chief on the Rapho Township police service contract and the police budget. Discussion was held whether there is a need of additional staff for the office and public works department.
- The Public Works Committee will meet before the next council meeting.
- It was requested that the Street Department start giving council a report every month.
- The Police Chief will start giving council the report that he gives to Rapho Township.
- The difference between a Police Commission and Police Department was questioned and explained.
- Discussion was held concerning Requests for Proposal for the consulting services for the borough solicitor, auditor and engineer. Mr. Stivers will start the research process to see what consultant RFP we want to start with. Council requested to start with the auditor.
- Mr. Stivers explained the sealed bid process that will be used for the sale of the 45 Market Square property.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn at 8:15 PM. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- October 21, 2019
- October 29, 2019
- November 4, 2019
- November 5, 2019
- November 11, 2019
- November 12, 2019
- November 14, 2019
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- November 18, 2019
- November 26, 2019
- December 2, 2019
- December 9, 2019
- December 10, 2019
- December 12, 2019
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- December 16, 2019
- January 9, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- January 13, 2020
- January 14, 2020