Borough Council Minutes 10-29-2013
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL WORKSHOP
October 29, 2013
As Amended and approved at the November 12, 2013 Meeting
Roll Call: President Bonnie Martin, Vice President Chris Simon Pro-Tempore Philip Enterline, Rebekah Bowers, Brad Roth and Dave Fenicle
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
- There were no visitor comments.
Police Chief Report:
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council. He updated them on the status of the Rapho Township Contract, the Speed Details and the successful Fireworks after the football game. Chief Stauffer explained the amendment draft he included in his report was for the current contract with Rapho Township. Council requested that Chief Stauffer send them a copy of the current contract.
Borough Manager Report:
- Mr. Stivers distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- A donation of a scoreboard for the softball field at the pool was received and it will be refurbished at little or no cost to the borough.
- The Fulton/Stiegel Street project is 90% complete and the final punch list is being reviewed and completed with Rettew Associates. There is an issue with the slope of the handicap ramps and it will be addressed with the contractor. The reasoning for the crown of the Fulton Street/Ferdinand Street intersection was questioned and explained as it was designed to handle the Stormwater drainage.
- Mill Street Inlets are in and Rettew Associates is starting their data study.
- County Commissioners would like to have Manheim Borough host their regional meeting on June 11, 2014. We will be holding the meeting at the new Community Farm Show Building.
- The Borough is currently looking to changing electric utility providers. The borough staff will continue their research and make a final decision with companies that include traffic signals and street lights as one of their options.
- Discussion was held concerning the installation of the Christmas Lights on the Market Square since the American Legion is no longer involved with this project. Possible fundraising efforts to cover the cost and community involvement were suggested.
- Resolution 8-2013 authorizing the filing of a proposal for funds with the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve Resolution 8-2013 authorizing the filing of a proposal for funds with the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED). The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A draft RFP for Snow Plowing service for this winter with possibly 2 years of extensions was presented for approval. There were minor changes requested in the wording and the addition of the need for the availability of a farm tractor for use with the snow blower were added to the document.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the draft RFP for Snow Plowing Services for this winter with possibly 2 years of extensions including all the changes requested by council. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A draft RFP for Engineering Services was presented for approval. Discussion was held by council as to the process they want to follow for the RFP for these services. A subcommittee was formed to review the engineering firm choices Mr. Stivers is recommending, which he feels would work well with our Borough. The committee members are President Martin, Mr. Simon and Mr. Fenicle. Mr. Stivers will organize the meeting.
- Approval of the October 22, 2013 Minutes:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Enterline to approve the Minutes of the October 22, 2013 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the Voucher Lists for October 29, 2013:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the voucher list in the amount of $229,306.79. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Enterline and passed unanimously.
- Ratification of the Petty Cash check for $73.00:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to ratify $73.00 for Petty Cash. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- Ratification of the PD Fund in the amount of $51.16 for K-9 Guardian & Kreiser’s Garage:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to ratify the PD Fund in the amount of $51.16 for K-9 Guardian & Kreiser’s Garage. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- The Parks/Pool Committee met before the Council Meeting. The committee held discussions on not sending out the survey they were going to forward to residents concerning the future of the pool until spring and look into possibly making it available on the computer and in paper form. We will include the application for 2014 membership in the newsletter instead to start the membership drive. The fees for 2014 were reviewed by the committee and will be finalized in the near future. The committee will be reviewing the capital and maintenance costs for winter repairs and upgrades.
- The committee meetings will be held before the council meetings starting at 5:30 PM. The budget discussions will be held during the regular workshop sessions with full council.
- Bridge Limit Discussion: Mr. Stivers reported on the meeting that was sponsored by the Manheim Chamber of Commerce at the New Farm Show Building with local officials, residents, business owners and PennDOT to discuss the issues involved with the PennDOT weight limit restrictions on the West & East High Street Bridges. It was surprisingly noted at the meeting that once the bridges are programed for construction by PennDOT the weight restrictions will actually be lifted by PennDOT. This would be when the funding is committed for the construction. The weight restrictions are not because they are structurally deficient, but to preserve the bridge until funding is available in order to prolong the life of the bridge. Our bridges would be included in the next phase which would be in two years. Mr. Stivers explained the options available to start these projects by possibly having the borough start the preliminary design plan or checking about having the Transportation Authority involved in managing the project. There can be private and public money involved in getting this project started sooner depending on the option the borough chooses to pursue. Other avenues of funding were discussed to see if possibly dealing with stormwater issues can be incorporated in these projects as they have a direct effect on each other. The issues being dealt with on these projects are actually safety and health related.
- The closing of the South Main Street and Fruitville Pike Bridges by PennDOT during the last rain/flood event and how PennDOT decides when a bridge needs to be closed was discussed. There is a meeting being held on November 12th to start discussing the flooding situation at the 5 Points intersection at South Main Street and Fruitville Pike. The history of events that may have contributed to flooding in the borough in the past was discussed. Spillway control was suggested. The past reports from the Army Corp of Engineer will be reviewed. It was suggested that maybe liquid fuels money could be used for some of these projects.
- Discussion was held concerning all the companies in our area that are directly affected by the weight limits.
- It was noted that a yield sign on Market Square has been knocked over.
- It was noted that it was decided earlier in the year to have the committee meetings opened to the public. Mr. Roth requested that the committee meetings be advertised so that all council members could attend since it would meet all the requirements necessary for them to legally be in attendance.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth that all committee meetings be advertised per the Sunshine rules to allow the public to attend any meetings that does not fall under the executive session rules and also allow any and all council members to attend all committee meetings. It was amended to start in January 2014. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed with a vote of 5 to 1. Mr. Enterline was the nay vote.
- A motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to cancel the last council meeting of December 2014. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passes with a vote of 5 to 1. Mr. Enterline was the nay vote.
- Ms. Jean Gates questioned the amount of money that will be budgeted for the Shade Tree Commission for 2014. Mr. Stivers will check and see what is currently in the budget for 2014.
- Chief Stauffer explained the DOT stops that were being performed during the day. It was questioned as to the locations where the trucks are asked to pull over as there is not area available in the borough for this type of enforcement. The handling and locations for this enforcement was discussed.
- It was noted that the speed through the borough is still an issue.
- The current status of payment for the rain garden repairs at Logan Park was questioned.
- Chief Stauffer explained the holiday fund raiser being held by the Manheim Police Department through the month of November to benefit the youth of the borough for Christmas.
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Bowers to adjourn at 8:50 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- January 18, 2021
- January 26, 2021
- February 1, 2021
- February 8, 2021
- February 9, 2021
- February 11, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- February 22, 2021
- February 23, 2021
- March 1, 2021
- March 8, 2021
- March 9, 2021
- March 11, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- March 15, 2021
- March 30, 2021
- April 5, 2021
- April 8, 2021
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- April 12, 2021
- April 13, 2021