Borough Council Minutes 11-26-2013
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL WORKSHOP
November 26, 2013
Roll Call: President Bonnie Martin, Vice President Chris Simon, Rebekah Bowers, Brad Roth and Dave Fenicle
Staff: Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary
- There were no visitor comments
Police Chief Report:
- The report for Chief Stauffer was distributed and reviewed by Council.
- A request for approval of a proposal for Verizon Network Fleet GPS units for the Police Department was presented for consideration. Discussion was held emphasizing the importance of these units in statistical and administrative situations.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the purchase of the Verizon Network Fleet GPS units for the police cruisers. The Motion was amended to include the date being effective January 1, 2014. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- A request for a Handicap Parking Space at 261 S. Charlotte Street was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the request for a Handicap Parking Space at 261 S. Charlotte Street. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Ms. Sara Lucky was presented for approval as the new Police Secretary. Mr. Simon explained the interview process and presented Ms. Lucky as the personnel committee’s recommendation.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to make an offer for the Police Secretary position to Sara Lucky with a start date of December 16, 2013. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- A request to temporarily block Hart Street for 4 hours with a moving van on December 2, 2013 was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle approve the temporary blocking of Hart Street on December 2, 2013 with a moving van. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the November 12, 2013 Minutes:
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the Minutes of the November 12, 2013 Borough Council Meeting. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Approval of the Voucher List for November 26, 2013: The voucher from J & J Estate Services, LLC was questioned and explained.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the voucher list in the amount of $259,631.48. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- There were no committee reports.
- President Martin presented a brief overview of plans being considered by the 250th Committee for a community event with fireworks to be held the weekend of the Rose Festival in June 2014 to include burying the time capsule. The 250th Committee would like the Market Square lighting project to be complete. The 250th Committee will prepare a proposed plan for the activities scheduled that weekend to present to council for consideration and possible help with the funding.
- Discussion was held concerning the replacement schedule for the purchase of the new cruiser that is listed in the proposed budget. Borough Council will address the scheduling of the cruiser purchase program with Chief Stauffer.
- Mr. Stivers, Mr. Fenicle and Ms. Jean Gates from the Shade Tree Commission met to discuss the locations of trees that will be planted this year yet as part of the Fulton Street Improvement Project. It was suggested that some of the trees could be moved back from the curb line to keep them away from utilities and possibly enhance the streetscape locations more. The Post Office will be planting their trees against the building.
- President Martin reported on the facility management meeting held at the community pool with representatives from the YMCA. Mr. Fenicle gave a brief overview of what the Parks/Pool Committee is currently reviewing and considering as the direction they want to take for choosing the right contractor for the pool in the future. Several options of handling the pool management for the future were discussed. The operation of the concession stand was also discussed.
- Discussion was held concerning the handling of the Northwest Ambulance Association contribution in the 2014 budget.
- A Motion was moved Mr. Roth to change the contribution to the Northwest Ambulance Association from a budgeted amount for fuel for $8,500 to a lump sum contribution of $8,500. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- Council will be requesting that all organizations that receive funding from the borough present a financial statement before receiving their funds.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth that all the organizations that receive contributions from the borough be required to provide financial statements annually before receiving their funds. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Council discussed receiving quarterly reports from all the boards, commissions and the authority that report to them. It was suggested that a possible meeting with all the commissions and boards should be scheduled for round table discussions on the direction the borough and council is looking to go for the future.
- It was noted that the school district new school project is a school district and school board project. The borough involvement would be with permitting and possible traffic and zoning issues involving the Zoning Hearing Board if necessary when the plans are presented for approval. The concern of the borough would be directed toward making use of empty buildings when they become available due to new construction.
- The borough tax exemption for the property at 148 E. Stiegel Street was questioned and explained.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to adjourn to Executive Session for real estate and personnel matters at 8:12 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn from Executive Session at 9:00 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Fenicle and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to move Mr. Stivers from a probationary to fulltime employment status, with a pay increase of 3% effective January 1, 2014 based on his performance and evaluation. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Fenicle to adjourn at 9:05 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- September 29, 2020
- October 5, 2020
- October 6, 2020
- October 8, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- October 12, 2020
- October 13, 2020
- October 19, 2020
- October 27, 2020
- November 2, 2020
- November 3, 2020
- November 9, 2020
- November 10, 2020
- November 12, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- November 16, 2020
- November 24, 2020
- December 7, 2020
- December 8, 2020
- December 10, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- December 14, 2020
- December 21, 2020