Borough Council Minutes 12-30-2014
MANHEIM BOROUGH COUNCIL
December 30, 2014
Roll Call: President Dave Fenicle, Vice President Chris Simon, Pro-Tempore Brad Roth, Rebekah Bowers, Bonnie Martin, Bryan Howett and Mayor Scot Funk
Staff: Mark Stivers, Borough Manager, Linda Gerhart, Recording Secretary and Police Chief Joseph Stauffer
Approval of Civil Service Recommendation:
Mr. Shaub and Mr. Reif of the Manheim Civil Service Commission presented their recommendation from the Commission for the hiring of Officer Ryan Goss, Officer Jordan Herr and Officer James Starr by the Manheim Borough Police Department. The Officers were introduced and gave a brief background on themselves.
Chief Stauffer gave a brief summation of the hiring process.
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Martin to hire Officer Ryan Goss, Officer Jordan Herr and Officer James Starr by the Manheim Borough Police Department. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
Mayor Scot Funk administered the oath of office to the officers and welcomed them to the Borough.
- There were no visitor comments.
Borough Manager Report:
- Stivers presented his report to Council.
- He updated council on the CDBG Hearing that was held as part of the grant application for the 2015 project the borough is submitting, which is the stormwater project in the North West Quadrant of the borough in the area of Adele Avenue/Hershey Drive, which is constantly being flooded due to poor drainage. The hearing was well attended by residents of that area of the borough.
- The Police Building project is moving along. Staff is working with the design team to finalize the storm water plans for the site. Pending approval from the Authority, Land Studies will help design a system using the land at the intersection of W Colebrook Street and the access to the Authority/Public works facility.
- The Cooperation Agreement between Manheim Borough, MAEDC and the Manheim Downtown Development Group has been completed and is ready for approval.
- Stivers gave an update on the IDA Board and the tax free Next Generation Farm Loans they are making available in cooperation with the Lancaster EDC.
- He reminded council of the CCWA Meeting on January 7th and the Regional Leaders Meeting with Representative Mindy Fee on January 22nd.
- The Manheim Borough Police Department Site – Stormwater Proposal was presented for approval. Stivers gave an update on the current design changes being made to the stormwater plans to channel most of this water off the property into the pipe on West Colebrook Street. This will help to reduce the cost of construction for this phase of the project. This proposal is from Land Studies who will be assisting Dave Christian with these final plans.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the Manheim Borough Police Department Site – Stormwater Proposal from Land Studies. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed with a vote of 5 to 0. President Fenicle recused himself since he is an employee of the Manheim Borough Authority and their property is part of the plan.
Approval was also requested to waive the 3 meeting delay by the Borough when the final plans are presented to the Lancaster County Planning Commission since we are under the county SALDO.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to waive the 3 meeting delay for the county process when these final plans are presented to the Lancaster County Planning Commission. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- The MDDG Cooperation Agreement between MDDG, MAEDC and Manheim Borough was presented for approval. It has been reviewed by the borough solicitor. Phillips explained the process and time line for presenting this cooperation agreement to the State Downtown organization to keep our local program moving forward for the future.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the MDDG Cooperation Agreement between the MDDG, MAEDC and Manheim Borough conditioned upon final approval and signing by MAEDC. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
- The new sign ordinance was presented for approval to advertise. Stivers explained the criteria for this ordinance. The ordinance is still being reviewed by Attorney Davis. Mr. Stivers requested that Council approve the advertising subject to review and approval of the text by Attorney Davis
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve the new sign ordinance for advertisement subject to final review and approval by the Borough Attorney. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- Resolution 10-2014 Authority Resolution for Name Change was presented for approval. Stivers explained the reasoning for the name change which will help to show that these are two separate agencies.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to approve Resolution 10-2014 Authority Resolution for the Manheim Borough Authority Name Change. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed with a vote of 5 to 0. President Fenicle recused himself since he is an employee of the Manheim Borough Authority.
- Membership to the Lancaster Co-op and Co-Stars for 2015 for purchases by the borough was presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve membership to the Lancaster Co-op and Co-Stars for 2015 for purchases by the borough. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
- The following Commission and Board reappointments were presented:
Mike Reif – Civil Service Commission 6 Years
Bernard (Skip) Shimko – Zoning Hearing Board 5 Years
Anthony Haldeman – Planning Commission 4 Years
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to reappoint Mike Reif to the Civil Service Commission for 6 years. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Howett to reappoint Bernard (Skip) Shimko to the Zoning Hearing Board for 5 years. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed with a vote of 5 to 1. Martin was the nay vote.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to reappoint Anthony Haldeman to the Planning Commission for 4 years. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Howett and passed unanimously.
- The Borough Council Meeting Minutes for December 9, 2014 were presented for approval.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Simon to approve the minutes for December 9, 2014. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- The Voucher List in the amount of $134,376.78 was presented for approval. The payment to the Ambulance Association was questioned and explained. Stivers will also check on the PPL invoice listing for Market Square.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Howett to approve the voucher list in the amount of $134,376.78. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Roth and passed unanimously.
Police Chief Report:
- Chief Stauffer distributed his report and reviewed it with Council.
- The Finance Committee did not have a report.
- The Parks/Pool Committee met before the council meeting. They reviewed a list of requested improvements for the pool snack bar for 2015. Some of the noted improvements were cosmetic such as new laminate and paint and seemed to be reasonable requests. The committee would recommend the improvement list with the exception of the installation of an ice machine, which they will research further. It was suggested that maybe an organized community day could be scheduled to handle some of the painting. The Friends of the Pool group will be organizing in January to concentrate on fundraising and PR work.
They also discussed the previous meeting held at Memorial Park with Kelly Gutshall to review the park for consideration of improvements for better use of this recreation property and to review plans for installation of a rail trail to be connected to other trails in the area. Mr. Stivers will forward this information onto the neighboring townships as well for consideration and possible amendments to the Regional Comp Plan.
- The Personnel/Police Committee did not have a report.
- The Public Works Committee did not meet, but Mr. Stivers reported that the West Stiegel Street project is complete and the final walk through will be scheduled.
- Simon attended the MDDG Board Meeting and Ms. Doreen Ober MDDG Manager gave an update on the group. The Contract with the DCED has been closed out. She updated the group on the annual meetings that were attended. Their National Accreditation Assessment was completed. They have signed a sub licensing agreement for continuation with the use of the logo and trademark. She updated council on the benefits of the Keystone Community Program and the availability of grant programs. A signed municipal resolution will also need to be drafted. There will be a visioning workshop scheduled in the future for the community. MDDG will show a 5 year sustainability plan and a 5 year work plan as well. She also noted some future dates to remember. February 18th is a PA Regional Leadership Forum in Lebanon with a PDC Workshop on February 19th. The State Wide Conference will be held June 7th to June 10th in Lancaster. The 3rd annual Rock & Glow Race is scheduled for Saturday, May 30th. The preplanning meeting for this event is scheduled for Noon on Tuesday, January 20th.
- The ordinance for parolee housing is currently being worked on.
- A review of the Noise Ordinance is also being conducted.
- Stivers did receive notice that a letter will be forthcoming from the County giving all municipalities currently under their SALDO one year to prepare their own.
- The tax relief request for 148 E. Stiegel Street was discussed and will be researched further to see what action was actually was taken by council to grant this request.
- President Fenicle noted that it was a very eventful year and thanked everyone for the extra effort put forth by council and for being so supportive.
- Bowers updated council on her recent trip to Michigan and presentation of a Christmas Ornament from Stiegel Glassworks to the Mayor of the town of Frankenmuth, Michigan.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn to Executive Session at 8:09 PM to discuss a personnel matter. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Mr. Roth to adjourn from Executive Session and return to the public meeting at 8:29 PM. The Motion was seconded by Mr. Simon and passed unanimously.
- A Motion was moved by Ms. Martin to adjourn at 8:30 PM. The Motion was seconded by Ms. Bowers and passed unanimously.
- April 6, 2020
- April 9, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- April 13, 2020
- April 14, 2020
- April 20, 2020
- April 28, 2020
- May 4, 2020
- May 11, 2020
- May 12, 2020
- May 14, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- May 18, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- June 1, 2020
- June 8, 2020
- June 9, 2020
- June 11, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- June 15, 2020