Trash & Recycling
Trash, recycling and yard waste pickups will continue to occur as scheduled.
Kraft Yard Waste bags are available at the Public Works Facility at 272 W. Colebrook St.
Oversized items, yard waste, and extra trash tags may be purchased by requesting them through e-mail or phone. Mail or drop off your request & payment at the drop box outside the front door of the borough building. We will mail the tags to you when we receive your payment, or make arrangements for you to pick up tags at the Borough office. Be sure to include your name & address on any correspondence.
COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL & INSTITUTIONAL RECYCLING information – scroll to bottom of this page.
The new Solid Waste Ordinance is in effect as of January 1, 2020. The ordinance has provisions regarding certain properties which will no longer be serviced by the municipal trash service, or will have the option to opt out of municipal trash service. Most properties will be required to remain in the program. The conditions for each of these property categories are as follows.
- All properties with 4 or less residential units and NO nonresidential units will be required to remain a part of the municipal trash service.
- All properties with 5 or more residential or nonresidential units, or any combination thereof, will NOT be part of the municipal trash service and will be required to be serviced by a private trash hauler.
- All owners of properties with at least 1 nonresidential unit may choose to opt out of being a part of the municipal trash service as long as the total number of units (residential AND nonresidential) on the property is 4 or less. Owners of properties that are opted out will be required to obtain the services of their own trash hauler.
Requests to opt out of, or to opt back in to, Municipal Trash Service, will be allowed once per year. The deadline for such requests is October 1 of each year. Click below for the form to be used for such requests.
The Borough’s contracted trash/recycling hauler is Waste Industries/GFL.
The yearly cost for Trash & Recycling service will be $220.00, billed in two installments on January 1st and July 1st at $110.00 each, and will be due by the 31st of January and July, respectively.
- Trash and recycling is normally scheduled for pickup every Thursday. For weeks which include a holiday (see below for holidays), the pickup day will be Friday. Special recycling pickup dates are noted in the above link. Changes due to weather or other circumstances will be posted on the front page of our website.
- Each stop is allowed 3 containers of refuse a week and unlimited recycling.
Yard Waste is NOT allowed to be included with your normal weekly trash, and therefore it will not be picked up if it is placed out on any days other than those specifically designated for yard waste pickup. Tags can be purchased by contacting the Borough office.
Yard Waste includes: All garden residues, grass clippings, shrubbery and tree prunings less than 1/4 inch in diameter. Material must be placed in yard waste bags or tied with biodegradable twine in easily handled bunches which shall not exceed three (3) feet in length and thirty (30) pounds in weight.
New Recycling Requirements:
Recyclable materials shall be collected as Single Stream (i.e. everything placed in the same recycling bin) on the same day as trash pickup. The Recycling must be placed in a Recycling Bin or appropriately labeled container. DO NOT USE A PLASTIC BAG for your recycling.
What Can Be Recycled?
Only the following materials can be recycled. Think of them as the “Big 4”. Everything else should be placed in your trash. If you aren’t sure, remember this phrase: “When in doubt, throw it out!” LCSWMA will transform discarded waste into renewable energy.
CORRUGATED CARDBOARD:This includes any size material consisting of a fluted corrugated sheet, like shipping boxes, packing boxes, CLEAN pizza boxes (no grease or food remnants), etc. Flatten all boxes and remove packaging including Styrofoam, peanuts, bubble wrap and plastic liners. Do NOT put paperboard (cereal boxes, shoe boxes), newsprint or junk mail in the bin.
PLASTIC BOTTLES AND JUGS WITH A NECK:This includes plastic bottles, jars, jugs and anything else with a neck. Throw away the lids and rinse out any residue. All other plastic material is considered trash. Ignore the numbers, as they don’t indicate if something is recyclable. Do NOT put plastic bags, toys, buckets, packaging, Styrofoam, hosing, furniture, or other plastic items in the bin.
METAL FOOD AND BEVERAGE CANS:This includes all food and beverage cans made from aluminum or steel. Throw away the lids and rinse out any residue. Do NOT put metal hangers, cooking pots and pans or other scrap metal like foil and pie plates in the bin.
GLASS:This includes clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars. Throw away the lids and rinse out any residue. Do NOT put light bulbs, dishes, glassware, window or automotive glass, vases or any other glass material in the bin.
Visit earth911.com for a list of locations that accept a variety of other recyclable materials.
Cardboard Dumpsters: Corrugated cardboard dumpsters are located in the parking lot at Logan Park off of West Ferdinand Street. The dumpsters are emptied twice weekly, so if dumpsters are full, please return in a few days.
DO NOT PLACE CARDBOARD OUTSIDE OF DUMPSTERS. The contracted hauler will not pick up anything outside of the dumpster, and this material will blow into the park and surrounding neighborhood.
- Holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Trash and recycling will be picked up on Fridays during these weeks.
- Recycling Bins: Recycling Bins are available at the Borough Office for $6.00. However, you can now use your own plastic container up to 32 gallons for recycling. Stop by the Borough Office today and pick up 2 Free large Recycling Decals to put on each side of your container so our Recycling Drivers can easily spot your recycling container. Contact the Borough Office with any questions.
- Magazine Dumpster: There is a dumpster at Logan Park at the parking lot off of West Ferdinand Street for the recycling of magazines. All the money from this dumpster is used for the Ronald McDonald Houses in Hershey – remember the magazine dumpster is for magazines ONLY…no other paper, cardboard, or other trash is permitted to be placed in this dumpster!
- Batteries: Orange recycling bags for batteries are available at the Borough office.
- Large Appliance Pick-up: A large appliance, or white good, is an appliance with a motor, engine, or compressor. For disposal of your appliance please be sure to purchase a $15.00 Large Appliance Tag from the Borough Office.
- Tire Pick-up: Tires will also be picked up curb side on the day of large appliance pick-up. Each tire must display a $3.00 tire tag, also available for purchase at the Borough Office.
- Woody Yard Waste Pick-up: Tags can be purchased at the Borough Office.
Reminder: Trash and recycling is not to be placed curbside before 6:00 PM the evening before your pick-up day, but it MUST be placed out by 5:00 AM on pick-up day. If your trash or recycling is missed, please contact the Borough Office immediately at 665-2461
|Green Woody Yard Waste||$1.50|
|Yellow Extra Bag||$2.00|
COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL & INSTITUTIONAL RECYCLING
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) administers the requirements of the Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling and Waste Reduction Act of 1988 (Act 101). This Act requires Municipalities and Counties to collect and report data on “post consumer” recyclables that are collected and marketed on an annual basis.
Commercial, Industrial & Institutional entities that generate waste in the Borough are required to recycle certain material in accordance with the Borough’s Solid Waste Ordinance.
If you are a commercial, industrial or institutional user in the Borough and you have a licensed waste hauler to transport your recyclables your data is already being annually reported.
However, if you do not rely on your waste hauler to transport some or all of your recyclables; please help us in collecting this information by completing the Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Annual Recycling Report that we mail to you each January.
Please feel free to contact the Borough Office for any assistance in completing this report.
- August 11, 2020
- August 13, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- August 17, 2020
- August 19, 2020
- August 25, 2020
- September 1, 2020
- September 8, 2020
- September 10, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- September 14, 2020
- September 21, 2020
- September 29, 2020
- October 5, 2020
- October 6, 2020
- October 8, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- October 12, 2020
- October 13, 2020
- October 19, 2020
- October 27, 2020
- November 2, 2020
- November 3, 2020