Trash & Recycling
The new Trash Contract has been awarded to Waste Industries/GFL and will go into effect on January 1, 2020. Beginning on this date, certain properties will be either required to opt out of the municipal trash service, or will have the option to opt out. Other properties will be required to remain in the program. The conditions for each of these property categories are as follows.
- All properties with 4 or less residential units and NO nonresidential units will continue to be required to remain a part of the municipal trash service.
- All properties with 5 or more residential or nonresidential units, or any combination thereof, will NOT be part of the municipal trash service and will be required to obtain the services of their own trash hauler.
- All properties with at least 1 nonresidential unit may choose to opt out of being a part of the municipal trash service as long as the total number of units (residential AND nonresidential) on the property is 4 or less.
Properties that are opted out will be required to obtain the services of their own trash hauler. Requests to opt out will be allowed once per year.
Notices have already been mailed to property owners who we have on file as owning properties who are either required or will be allowed to be opted out voluntarily. Should you own one of these types of properties and have not received a notice, please click on this link Notice to Property Owners , and contact the Borough office immediately.
There will be an increase this year for the Trash/Recycling Bills, which will be the first increase in over 5 years. Rising and added costs with the operation of the County Recycling and Trash Programs have made this increase necessary, not only with Manheim but with other municipalities throughout Lancaster County as well. The yearly cost for Trash & Recycling service will be $220.00, billed in two installments on January 1st and July 1st at $110.00 each, and will be due by the 31st of January and July, respectively.
Remaining 2019 Dates: Leaf Pick Up – Saturdays – November 9, November 16, November 23, December 7 & December 14
COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL & INSTITUTIONAL RECYCLING information – scroll to bottom of this page.
- Trash and recycling is normally scheduled for pickup every Thursday. For weeks which include a holiday (see below for holidays), the pickup day will be Friday. Special recycling pickup dates are noted in the above link. Changes due to weather or other circumstances, will be posted on the front page of our website.
- Each stop is allowed 3 containers of refuse a week and unlimited recycling.
New Recycling Requirements:
Recyclable materials shall be collected as Single Stream (i.e. everything placed in the same recycling bin) on the same day as trash pickup. The Recycling must be placed in a Recycling Bin or appropriately labeled container. DO NOT USE A PLASTIC BAG for your recycling.
What Can Be Recycled?
Only the following materials can be recycled. Think of them as the “Big 4”. Everything else should be placed in your trash. If you aren’t sure, remember this phrase: “When in doubt, throw it out!” LCSWMA will transform discarded waste into renewable energy.
CORRUGATED CARDBOARD:This includes any size material consisting of a fluted corrugated sheet, like shipping boxes, packing boxes, CLEAN pizza boxes (no grease or food remnants), etc. Flatten all boxes and remove packaging including Styrofoam, peanuts, bubble wrap and plastic liners. Do NOT put paperboard (cereal boxes, shoe boxes), newsprint or junk mail in the bin.
PLASTIC BOTTLES AND JUGS:This includes plastic bottles, jars, jugs and anything else with a neck. Throw away the lids and rinse out any residue. All other plastic material is considered trash. Ignore the numbers, as they don’t indicate if something is recyclable. Do NOT put plastic bags, toys, buckets, packaging, Styrofoam, hosing, furniture, or other plastic items in the bin.
METAL FOOD AND BEVERAGE CANS:This includes all food and beverage cans made from aluminum or steel. Throw away the lids and rinse out any residue. Do NOT put metal hangers, cooking pots and pans or other scrap metal like foil and pie plates in the bin.
GLASS:This includes clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars. Throw away the lids and rinse out any residue. Do NOT put light bulbs, dishes, glassware, window or automotive glass, vases or any other glass material in the bin.
Visit earth911.com for a list of locations that accept a variety of other recyclable materials.
Cardboard Dumpsters: Corrugated cardboard dumpsters are located in the parking lot at Logan Park off of West Ferdinand Street. The dumpsters are emptied twice weekly, so if dumpsters are full, please return in a few days.
DO NOT PLACE CARDBOARD OUTSIDE OF DUMPSTERS. The contracted hauler will not pick up anything outside of the dumpster, and this material will blow into the park and surrounding neighborhood.
- Holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas will impact trash pickup. Trash scheduled to be picked the week of any of these holidays will be picked up a day later.
- Recycling Bins: Recycling Bins are available at the Borough Office for $6.00. However, you can now use your own plastic container up to 32 gallons for recycling. Stop by the Borough Office today and pick up 2 Free large Recycling Decals to put on each side of your container so our Recycling Drivers can easily spot your recycling container. Contact the Borough Office with any questions.
- Magazine Dumpster: There is a dumpster at Logan Park at the parking lot off of West Ferdinand Street for the recycling of magazines. All the money from this dumpster is used for the Ronald McDonald Houses in Hershey – remember the magazine dumpster is for magazines ONLY…no other paper, cardboard, or other trash is permitted to be placed in this dumpster!
- Batteries: Orange recycling bags for batteries are available at the Borough office.
- Large Appliance Pick-up: A large appliance, or white good, is an appliance with a motor, engine, or compressor. For disposal of your appliance please be sure to purchase a $15.00 Large Appliance Tag from the Borough Office.
- Tire Pick-up: Tires will also be picked up curb side on the day of large appliance pick-up. Each tire must display a $3.00 tire tag, also available for purchase at the Borough Office.
- Woody Yard Waste Pick-up: All Tags are still purchased at the Borough Office.
Reminder: Trash and recycling is not to be placed curbside before 6:00 PM the evening before your pick-up day, but it MUST be placed out by 5:00 AM on pick-up day. If your trash or recycling is missed, please contact the Borough Office immediately at 665-2461
|Green Woody Yard Waste||$1.50|
|Yellow Extra Bag||$2.00|
COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL & INSTITUTIONAL RECYCLING
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) administers the requirements of the Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling and Waste Reduction Act of 1988 (Act 101). This Act requires Municipalities and Counties to collect and report data on “post consumer” recyclables that are collected and marketed on an annual basis.
Commercial, Industrial & Institutional entities that generate waste in the Borough are required to recycle certain material in accordance with the Borough’s Solid Waste Ordinance.
If you are a commercial, industrial or institutional user in the Borough and you have a licensed waste hauler to transport your recyclables your data is already being annually reported.
However, if you do not rely on your waste hauler to transport some or all of your recyclables; please help us in collecting this information by completing the Commercial/Industrial/Institutional Annual Recycling Report that we mail to you each January.
Please feel free to contact the Borough Office for any assistance in completing this report.
- November 26, 2019
- December 2, 2019
- December 9, 2019
- December 10, 2019
- December 12, 2019
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- December 16, 2019
- January 6, 2020
- January 9, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm
- January 13, 2020
- January 20, 2020
- January 28, 2020
- February 10, 2020
- February 11, 2020
- February 13, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm
at 7:00 pm